Friday 25 February 2011

Europe without Italy...




The final blow to the credibility of Italian football- they have lost a Champions League spot due to their poor performances in Europe. This may not come to much surprise as Napoli were knocked out the Europa League against Spanish side, Villareal. This and the fact that all the Italian teams in Europe have lost the first legs in the Champions League, and it saddens me. I know they are better than this, as I watch Serie A week after week, and I am always entertained. Although I am not surprised that they lost their place to Germany, as the Bundesliga is enthralling and German football has really changed for the better. What would have been devastating, is if they lost that space to England!!! English football is like basketball- it just goes from one end to another with no thinking in between.






Milan had great CL pedigree, I mean they had won 7 and the last one was in 2007. Inter had won the Treble last year... and I ask you what has gone wrong?? The decision to take away the spot from Italy didn't come overnight, it was over 10 years and in that time UEFA saw a steady decline in quality from the Italians.


This is just a little sad as I find Serie A to be an exciting League, who would've guessed that Napoli would be fighting for the title? The Italian game is more technical skill but that's where the beauty lies, it's a sad thing that no one else can appreciate that beauty. Yet I do hope that this snub will be the push that the Italian League needs to be promoting their youth systems, this is one of the main reasons behind Germany's success, they have an excellent youth system and they now how to nurture their youths to get the best out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment