Sunday 11 July 2010

Italian Football???


What is happening to Italian football? When I first got into it, I remember being so excited by the new faces and the individual and collective skills and being amazed by how solid their defending was. Now the defence is making basic errors and there is no attacking force to speak of. Now I watch Italian football every weekend in Serie A, but on the international scene I don't see the same force...why?? And I answer, Italy is now suffering from the same illness as the England team- many of their top teams are full of foreign players. One only has to look at Inter, the only Italian team to have a positive impact in Europe but it has just 2 Italian players in the whole squad. Now I'm not suggesting that we should only have Italian players.. that would be madness- but the Italian clubs have to invest more in their homegrown talent, not only will it make economic sense but it will also help with the national team just look at Germany, their World Cup has been a revelation, because they understand and respect the value their youth posses. I mean La Nationale was below par this season and the only time they seemed to put up a fight was in the last 15 minutes of their last game when they brought Fabio Quagliarella on, but I'm not too disappointed the Azzurri didn't win the tournament, but they did win it in 06 so it's only fair someone else should get a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment