Monday 20 July 2009

Gran Torino/ Watchmen




Gran Torino, this was a movie with a big heart and really very thought provoking at times. Clint Eastwood’s performance as the racist and grumpy old man made you laugh and feel for him. He was a man without a war to fight and obviously he was bored. He was still at war.. but this time with himself, about all the horrible things he had to do in war and drifting further and further away from his family.

At the beginning of the film you had the funeral of Walt’s wife, while his neighbours were celebrating the birth of a child, it was a beautiful beginning as it depicts life and when one person dies another life begins, and how life is circular and never ending.

Near the middle of the film you could see him forming a new family with people he considered as the enemy. It was nice to see him warming up to his neighbours and taking an interest in their work and who they hung around with, he was closer to these ‘strangers’ than his own family and that really shot to my centre in the end he cared so much, that he was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for them. I got to be honest, the ending had me all chocked up, especially his reaction to what happened to Sue, she was like a kindred spirit . It was really moving. In my humble opinion this film had it all, it has humour, Drama, Action and most importantly a soul. The overall theme of the film was, redemption and forgiveness, him forgiving the boy and forgiving himself for what he had done. The only criticism I got for this film is, some of Clint’s dialogue was hard to understand at first because of his deep almost animal like voice.



Watchmen
I’m sure Alan Moore is impressed with this adaptation. He should be because it was like seeing the graphic novel unfold in front of your eyes. I personally have not read the novel but I have a brother who has told me everything about it trying to convert me! When he first told me about The Comedian I didn’t believe him so I read the bit where he shot the pregnant lady, and watching the scene in the film was like reading the bit in the novel, word for word!
Zack Snyder should be extremely proud of what he has created, he has also pushed the limits to how dark a “comic book” adaptation can go, and believe me the audience are ready and have been for a while since Batman Begins and Bale’s interpretation of Bruce Wayne/ Batman. It was not too gory as the style of the filmmaking made it seem slightly exaggerated so you didn’t feel too disturbed.
My utmost favourite character has to be Rorschach, he’s just so uncompromising and in his world everything is so black and white. He is Batman to the utmost extreme. But he also has whit and humour, especially the scene in prison with the psychiatrist when he says with a straight face that he hates him. Also another praiseworthy bit of filmmaking genius was the way in which the explained how he became Rorschach, with the flash backs and cut scenes which in my humble opinion was sublime, some people might get confused but a person with more than half a brain would be able to follow it.
Ozymandias was an interesting character, I especially enjoyed the bit at the end, and how he is so smart that he knew how to catch the bullet! Also his love of the Egyptian empire was an interesting choice, because the Egyptians did consider themselves to be enlightened and they were on the forefront on many major discoveries. His idea about causing this threat to ultimately bring peace was one that I had heard before… Do you think that’s where Heroes got their idea for the first season?
But ultimately Rorschach won, because his journal is out there and ultimately the truth will be known. But obviously he couldn’t live with himself, knowing what he did, and that is why he died. A completely uncompromising character and I shed a tear for him.
To end my review of Watchmen, Zach Snyder has pushed the envelope and has shouted out to the world that the “comic book” is not just for kids or geeks, but it can be serious and highly thought provoking. He has also made me appreciate my brother’s love for graphic novels and has even converted me! I hope that studios begin to realise that the audience can handle darkness and doesn’t need the ending to be tied off with a pretty bow! The only criticism that I had was about the extended sex scenes that just cheapens it, a film that is meant for adults doesn’t need that, a film like this is more about the story, the back stories and characters and I understand that that is a part of the character but you have to admit, it was a bit much.


No comments:

Post a Comment