Tuesday 8 June 2010

Weekend movies




First movie I saw at the weekend was the movie that won Sandra Bullock the Razzie for worst actress and I can see why. All about Steve is about a women ( Bullock) who has a blind date with a man named Steve and then she spends the rest of the movie chasing him across country.. her theory is that Steve invited her to come along.




Okay now before you think less of me, I only watched this movie because of sheer curiosity and the fact that I'm a fan of Bullock's work. But this movie was cringewworthy and the message was not a clear one. What this film does say is that being intelligent is useless because in the end all she does is crossword puzzles for the local paper and the news anchors are clearly moronic. This just encourages the myth that being smart is nothing and fame is everything- something that is a scary theme in American movies. Don't people understand that if your smart you can get fame.. I mean if that's what you want, this obsession with fame is an unhealthy obsession and a little sad really. Also this film encourages stalking... which I understood was a bad thing?? Mary ( Bullock) basically stalks Steve. and if this was the other way around and Steve was stalking Mary, he would get arrested and have a restraining order but because it's a women it's romantic- ahem double standards!! And this whole myth that you're nothing untill you get a man is absurd. Some of the most successfull women are single and that's a good thing because all they do is complicate things I mean just look at what happened in Sandy's personal life.


The other thing about this movie that did make me feel sad was how she was made to feel like an outcast because she didn't conform to society's version of " normal", what made this even more sad was how she was making excuse for being different.




Another movie that I saw was, " The Killer Inside Me". Something completley differen to All About Steve, But it is still about obsession. His need to kill. This film just shows you what happens if you keep yourself so repressed- it'll kill you! Although it did have more to do with his background and how he was forced to grow up. What can I really say without giving too much away? What I will say is appearances can be deceiving. Worth a watch but I could have done with a lot less sex scenes, it kindof gives it the feel of a "snuff film."

No comments:

Post a Comment